Bollywood’s superstar and veteran actress Sridevi’s untimely demise has left a void in the hearts of everyone who loved her. Be it her family, the people who had the pleasure of working with her or her fans who worshipped her, this absence is something that needs more than time to heal. If you are a true fan, you’d probably know a lot about her already but in case you are intrigued, we have a list of lesser known facts about the beloved actress.
1. Sridevi’s birth name was Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan. She adopted the name ‘Sridevi’, and eventually was known by this name only all her life.
2. While many actors thought that making debuts at 16 or maybe 18 years was a big deal, Sridevi was probably born a professional. The gorgeous actress accelerated her film career at the mere age of 4 with the Tamil movie, ‘Thunaivan’.
3. For someone who faced the camera at 4 years of age, Sridevi took the humongous task of playing Rajnikanth’s step mother in ‘Moondru Mudichu’. Just FYI, she was only 13 years old at that time but still 9 years deep in the industry.
© RMS Films
4. Sridevi was awarded the Padma Shri in the year 2013, India’s fourth highest civilian award.
5. Not many are aware but ‘Beta’ and ‘Darr’, the movies which are now synonymous with the success of Madhuri Dixit and Juhi Chawla, were initially offered to her. However, she refused them since she was already doing a lot of movies with Anil Kapoor at that time and she thought that ‘Darr’ didn’t offer her much as an actor.
6. Not just Bollywood but even Hollywood loved Sridevi. Apparently in 1993, celebrated director Steven Spielberg really wanted to cast her for ‘Jurassic Park’ when Sridevi was already enjoying a superstar status in India. She politely refused because she felt the role wasn’t ‘meaty’ enough for her.
7. Since she wasn’t very comfortable with the language, Sridevi started dubbing for her own Hindi films with ‘Chandni’.
The actress was just 54 years old when she passed away and her last movie will be SRK’ s ‘Zero’, in which she will have a guest appearance. While the film fraternity lost a superstar, Sridevi was much more than just an actor. She was a wife, a mother and a role model for millions of women in the country. We hope her soul rests in eternal peace.