Salman Khan appeared on the 100th episode of Karan Johar’s chat show ‘Koffee With Karan’ last night with brothers Sohail Khan and Arbaaz Khan.
Somewhere in the middle of all that sibling-banter that was largely amusing to hear, the always entertaining Salman Khan hit us right in the feels when he said, “celebrities never get away with anything” to Karan Johar.
I mean, it couldn’t get more appropriate and justified than Salman Khan talking about being victimized for doing nothing at all. “For nothing at all as well”, he added. OMG, pass me the tissues someone.
And it’s SO true. Hasn’t Salman Khan always been cornered throughout his career for ‘being human’?
We thought it was only fair we listed down all the times Salman Khan couldn’t get away with anything.
1. Salman Khan subjected his ex-girlfriend Aishwarya Rai to violence and mental harassment when the two were dating. Aishwarya Rai even spoke of it publicly. “After we broke up, he would call me and talk rubbish. He also suspected me of having affairs with my co-stars. I was linked up with everyone, from Abhishek Bachchan to Shah Rukh Khan. There were times when Salman got physical with me, luckily without leaving any marks. And I would go to work as if nothing had happened.” She revealed post their break-up. No action was taken against Bhai, because Bhai.
2. Various publications reported an angry Salman Khan slapping his then-girlfriend Katrina Kaif in full public view at Bandstand Barista, a coffee shop. Katrina Kaif was left so shocked, she got up and left. The woman-beater got away with it yet another time. But okay, let’s not make it look like Salman Khan beats up only women. There have been many more instances of Salman Khan beating up men that prove the man doesn’t discriminate.
© Eros International
3. In 1998, a blackbuck committed suicide in Jodhpur after watching ‘Hum Saath Saath Hain’ and Salman Khan was charged for it along with Saif, Tabu, Sonali Bendre and Neelam. 18 years (throughout which he made his entire career) and a lot more crimes later, Salman Khan was ‘finally’ acquitted. Phew, thank God the suffering ended for the man.
4. Salman Khan’sconfessed that he was an eye-witness to Salman Khan shooting the blackbuck. He also went on to reveal to NDTV that his statement was never taken into consideration. “I stick to the statement I made before a magistrate 18 years ago. I am not an absconder. My father received threats, I got scared and left home. If I had police protection, I could have given a statement. That was what I always intended.” He told NDTV. But the only punishment Salman Khan got was several 100 crore hits and a status of a youth icon.
5. On 28th September 2002, Salman Khan’s car ran into a bakery in Mumbai killing one man sleeping on the pavement and injuring others in a case of drunken driving. 14 years later, he was acquitted due to the ‘lack of evidence’. Maharashtra Government tried challenging the acquittal but the Bombay High Court refused to fast-track the case because it was obvious the car was self-driven and Salman Khan was probably at a charity event busy ‘being human’.
6. Very recently, he compared himself to a raped woman for no valid reason while promoting his film ‘Sultan’. Most of Bollywood turned a deaf ear to this insensitive and downright outrageous remark. He made light of the matter at some events that followed and ‘Sultan’ went on to become the biggest hit of the year. Seriously, why are we so cruel to Salman Khan, India?
Thank you Salman Khan, for saying it out loud. Celebrities NEVER get away with anything. The media really needs to stop ‘defaming’ Salman Khan. He’s only (allegedly) killed a blackbuck, ran over an innocent man, beat up people and threatened ex-girlfriends. It’s not like he’s rightly called India ‘intolerant’ or worked with Pakistani actors at a time when nobody could have predicted the Uri Attacks. Come on, now. Be reasonable. Be human.